Today I wanted to express the artistic side of me while still having to go to work in office-appropriate attire, so what came to mind were accessories and classic wardrobe pieces moving to the dance of style together. So, what did I need to achieve my “French Artist” look?
- Fitted blazer – I always imagine a French girl in a fitted jacket that accentuates her waist and plays up her feminine figure. I picked this Banana Republic blazer because I love the color blocking, the fit and its collar–all three of these elements make it unique and artsy, while still in the world of classics! Mine is a couple of years old, but here are a few options available today. I particularly like the Herringbone Luxe Brushed Twill One-Button Blazer and the One-Button Dotted Blazer.
- A lace top – I chose a beige lace top and layered it over a black tea to keep in the color scheme. Lace is very old-world charm, so adding one more to the “French” charm of this outfit (beautiful options here and here.)
- High-waist black jeans – you cannot go wrong with a pair of good black skinny jeans. In my mind those would always remain a classic as they pair up so well with boots and heels and can be both weekend and work week appropriate. Mine are by J-brand and have proven very comfy.
- Pointed-toe over-the-knees boots – I know pointed-toe is not everyone’s cup of tea, however I feel like those give your legs an extra oomph by giving the illusion of added length. My pair is for Nine West and I love the tassels in the back as well as the comfort level of this pair.
- A newsboy hat – I remember being in Venice and seeing a stylish little boy. Before he said a word I knew it was French – the newspaper-boy hat had given him in–he was the cutest. Mine is from Americal Eagle and a few years old, but here is a similar one and another I like quite a bit.
- Round glasses – those always make me think of the Beatles and would anyone argue they are not artistic?!? These Ray-Ban Clubround are my current shades obsession.
- A scarf to tie in the color scheme – this Burberry scarf is soft, warm and the perfect pattern. It is the perfect partner for any coat or blazer be it black, creme, beige, white, red…
- Leather Bag – I love this Paul Castelloe bag – it is classy and functional! Not sure they ship to the US, but I love this Rebecca Mincoff bag or this Sole Society option for under $100.
I hope this look inspires you to be creative, edgy and artsy even on week days when you need to be in business casual or business attire.