Hello, lovely people!
Happy February! I recently went on vacation to the US Virgin Island of St. Croix, and boy, is it a beautiful piece of land surrounded by the most vibrant, countless-shades-of-blue water! Some of the architecture is stunning and where a building has turned into an abandoned ruin the flora has taken over and turned it into a charming, out-of-Tom-Sayer site! I could imagine countless photo-shoots there–a photographer’s Paradise!
As beautiful as St. Croix is, it is also not a very posh place. People are very welcoming, but unfortunately seem to live on a penny, the infrastructure is sort of maintained, and the island does not house many fancy restaurants or stores, BUT that is just part of its endless charm! It is a relaxing, let-your-hair-down, makeup-free, non-pretentious, casual kind of island.
So, what are some of the essentials you would need to have an enjoyable vacation:
- A few pairs of bikini (love the VS options here)–the island offers many wonderful beaches (my favorites are Sugar Cane Beach, Rainbow Beach and Sandy Point Beach) and you would love to be in or by the water as much as possible.
- A snorkel set (I have a Speedo set that worked very well)–don’t miss the beauty that lives in the water. It is such a calm and astonishing underwater world that you can enjoy by simply investing $35 in some fins, a mask and a snorkel. It takes “playing in the water” to a whole new level.
- Sunglasses (got my Kenneth Cole pair, similar here)–it is nice and sunny all the time, and if you are like me and have love for the sun, but can’t look it in the eye for too long, sunglasses would be much needed and appreciated.
- Flip-flops (wore this AEO pair everywhere) and flats (I wore my Lucky Brand Ellie pair)–I could have done this entire vacation in my flip-flops, but there was something nice about being able to slip into flats for dinner and the evening weather would allow it! Don’t bother with heels–you will look totally out of place, fell uncomfortable and perhaps a bit tired after a day in the water and under the sun.
- Your favorite casual dresses and cover-ups–I brought 5 or 6 dresses, a pair of shorts and a skirt, but the dresses worked so well I didn’t need anything else. You can throw those over your swimsuit with your flip-flops or pair them up with your flats for dinner, a visit to the botanical garden, a tour of the rum distilleries, and voila–you are island ready!
- A light jacket (love this Lucky Brand option) or cardi–I always feel cold and St. Croix gets a nice breeze that runs trough the island most of the time–day or night, so I appreciated having a thin denim blazer for a dinner or cocktails out in the evening.
What is nice to have, but not essential:
- If you are planning on some hiking adventures you may want to bring a pair of running shoes. I hiked in flip-flops, but wished for my sneakers would magically appear on my feet. 😉
- Board shorts would also be good for a hike, a paddle board afternoon, jet-skiing or a night out in a see-through kayak to check out the bio-luminescence at Salt River Bay.
- A small cross-body bag to house your credit card, some cash, and small essentials.
- A backpack for the beach or a hike.
- A hat–another way to protect yourself from the sun, however it is a bit windy, which means you may end up chasing your fedora or panama down the beach.
What to leave at home:
- Fancy jewels;
- Designer bags;
- Cocktail dresses;
- Full makeup set.
St. Croix is a low-key, casual-essentials kind of island, so leave your fancy fashion behind for this vacay, grab your sunscreen, bathing suit, snorkel, an adventure spirit and enjoy the raw fun this island has to offer!
Happy vacationing, ladies and gents!!
Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, cozied up next to your loved ones, celebrating with family and friends, receiving Santa’s best, indulging in some delicious bites and holiday cheer!
Now that we are in the stretch between Christmas and New Years, I feel like just wearing something comfy to the office. Most people are taking this time off, but for those who are back to the grind this week, I suggest dressing in something that makes you feel relaxed & comfy, and is still appropriate for work. Allowed to wear jeans at your office? You are all set then! Just dive into the world of denim & leather (one of my favorite combinations) and cruise trough the day in ease with a pinch of western flair.
I decided to do just that with this denim on denim look! To show off these toffee Lucky Brand Lorry Booties (which are SUPER comfy BTW), I rolled up my Lucky Brand Lolita Jeans, to give this Western Metal Belt a center stage, I tucked in a denim CK shirt (similar here) and just added my favorite saddle bag and Calvin Klein Soft Tortoise sunglasses. Doesn’t that spell a comfortable 9-hour office stay?
So go on working troopers, make these few days between the holidays some that make you feel just as relaxed as if you were to go out on the weekend or stay home on your couch! 😉
With Christmas around the corner and many people traveling home for the holidays, I thought it would be useful to share my favorite winter life-saver items that are light, warm, and chic at the same time.
I recently traveled to San Francisco and boy was it a cold weekend there!! California winters are nothing compared to those most people face, but the temperatures were definitely a bit lower than I am comfortable with. Despite the weather, I did not want to abandon my dresses (love this Max Studio lace one and wanted to wear it to brunch one of the days–similar here, here and here) or ripped jeans and the ability to feel chic, yet not frozen. Soooo, I reached out to the types of items that had served me well during a January trip to London last year:
- I love wearing knee-length wool coats as those are so elegant and go with everything–dresses, pants, skirts, jeans… Only one problem–wool coats don’t fair too well in the wind or rain. I have to admit I did not really want to wear anything else, as I found most other winter jackets bulky and boxy. However, this Calvin Klein down jacket changed my mind (love this white option currently available at 50% off)! It is stylish, very light, yet the down keeps you warm, and the shell material can protect you from all winter weather elements. Added bonus–this jacket can be housed in a tiny bag as it compresses a lot, so it is also a space-saver.
- OTK boots–cute, modish and double up as a second or third layer to keep your legs protected up and over your knees. I love this Nine West pair (on sale now with extra 20% off at checkout) as the heel is not too high making them comfortable for traveling and exploring a new city for hours! BTW, those are not too hard to take off for when you are passing TSA… 😉
- Your favorite scarf–I am one to always have a stiff neck when it gets a bit cooler, so I can appreciate a great accessory that will cover my neck, but could also be used to cover your mouth and nose when those need some help against the frost.My neck is in love with this Burberry scarf.It is versatile as its size and pattern are a classic in neutral colors.
- Leggings–I love a basic black pair. Leggings can be warn with a dress or even as a layer under your ripped jeans for when you don’t want the wind finding its way to your bare legs trough those rips. This Matty M pair is only $15, but sits well and does not fall down as the day goes by.
So go on and enjoy your trip in style and happy Christmas week, everyone!
If you are intimidated by the notion of wearing an oversized cardi or sweater then “welcome to the club!” I am a huge fan of all things fitted–sheath dresses, pencil skirts, tailored shirts, blazers, jackets, you name it and I like it form-fitting!! Soooo… although the concept of an oversized cardi was intriguing I found myself feeling a bit apprehensive about “rocking” one.
The compromise? I decided that if I paired an oversized cardigan with fitted items underneath, the outfit would still look elegant while providing the comfort that comes with bulkier outerwear.
I have to admit I fell in love with this La Classe Couture Ladies’ Knit Cardigan I found in Costco of all places. It is not your typical cardigan–it has rounded bottom “edges”, an interesting shawl collar and my favorite–pockets! The tan color I selected paired up perfectly with the brindle Linnea Lucky Brand booties and oatmeal Stud Leather Panama Hat.
To keep the cardi at the center stage, I picked a cream INC sweater (mine is old, but I love this cold-shoulder option) and darker pair of Calvin Klein skinny jeans. My purse (similar Ralph Lauren here or here) matched the denim, so that it complemented the cardi without introducing too many colors.
So, don’t be scared to try something new and out of your comfort zone! What is the worse that could happen – you just won’t buy the item or can return it if you can’t style it with anything you feel good in as a whole outfit!
Happy Thursday, lovelies!
Hello lovely people,
In my prior post I gave you some gift ideas for the ladies in your life, but now lets honor the men. Here are my top 10 suggestions when it comes to the guys:
- New set of tools – if your man is of the handy type and enjoys projects around the house this one would make him happy!
2. The mock – these is something about a man rocking that collar!
3. The grey jeans – just like us, guys do love jeans and look great in those! I have to admit I am currently in love with grey denim and guys would probably “dig it” too
4. A motto Leather jacket for him – a man always looks stylish in leather.
- I have to admit Costco seems to surprise me with how great of an item you can find there for a price that is so reasonable. This Boston Harbour Men’s Leather Jacket is under $120 and looks so chic.
- Loving this Manx Leather Jacket from Lucky Brand as well, but it is a bit pricier at $409.99
5. A new phone – guys love gadgets, don’t they? Both the new iPhone 7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 are out, as well as the Google Pixel, so check with your mobile provider for further details.
6. Cologne – smelling good is always a plus!
7. Shoes – to round off his outfit with!
- Mason Chukka Boot by Lucky Brand is a way to get him into a pair of suede boots as well
- Aldo’s Croaven is a classic leather boot option that is super stylish
8. Baseball hat – most boys love those and could never have enough!
9. Watch – most men don’t accessorize as much as we do, but a watch is a classic!
10. A pair of aviators – I have a soft spot for those.
Hope I gave you some ideas and the men in your life would light up once they see your neat Christmas surprise!
Can you believe that Christmas is just a couple of weeks away? Santa is literally knocking on our doors!! Here is the first gift guide I have prepared for the ladies in your life. Enjoy!
Happy HOLIDAY shopping ladies and gents!