How was your 4th of July weekend? Tons of fun I hope! We did a couple of trips and I have to admit–it was fantastic having four days to spend with my favorite people! 🙂
Now, let’s get back to business–that of baking rules of wedding etiquette (hehe!) as I sure am introducing you to some unconventionally beautiful guest attire AND this time it is one for an evening celebration. Irrespective of when or where a wedding was to be held white or black used to be on the “NO! NO!” list when it came to female guest attire. White was strictly for the bride and black–well, black was to be left for the not-so-joyous occasions… However, nowadays black is completely acceptable–it is such a versatile color as it pairs up perfectly with any accessories and tends to be flattering on almost everyone.
I find this fit and flare METISU dress (as well as this one – available in all sizes! Mine is only available in XL at the moment.) to be the perfect piece for an evening wedding – it is very glamorous, yet proper, with a hint of fun and a pop of color. It comes with this pretty red and gold belt, which ties in perfectly with the gold front buttons of the dress and inspired my accessory selection–a pair of red suede BCBG peep toes (currently not available, but the linked pair is a perfect match for the dress), a red Michael Kors round-top wallet, and dainty gold jewelry.
A few of the dress details I love:
- The length of this dress – the lace hits me right below the knee, but if you are a bit shorter it would be tea-length, mid-calf, which is very classy as well.
- The swing silhouette – makes me want to twirl and dance the night away.
- The hollow out lace design – it is so strategically placed to show off the beauty of the lace fabric, while keeping the dress tasteful!
- The half sleeves – perfect for the evening and the lace detail on those show gorgeously and tie in with the bottom of the dress.
- The button down front – you can button up the dress and display its beautiful top pearl button and stand collar, or you can button it down and pair it up with some pretty gold jewelry!
If you have a special event to go to, check out the wide selection of METISU dresses – you are sure to find one that suits your style and occasion! METISU also has a fantastic customer appreciation SALE going on right now–50% OFF, so hurry in! Let me know when you find your perfect match – I’d love to see what you have picked!
Do I hear wedding bells? Yes, with summer comes wedding season and beautiful white dresses that we all want to wear all day, every day… But is it against the rules to be a wedding guest and wear a white dress? After all white and ivory are reserved for the bride and it is her day to shine. If you know the bride is more traditional I would recommend that you opt out of white and choose a pretty dress in a different color – blush is beautiful and still going strong this season, yellow is always cheerful and another great color for a summer day wedding, and mint green is soft and sophisticated – just to list a few.
However, if you know your bride is not one to care for the rules and has chosen a more contemporary approach to her wedding, then perhaps you can step into your white dress and enjoy her special day! Here are a few rules to help you make the right choice:
- Would the bride be in white or ivory?
- Do you know the bride well enough to ask her what she thinks of you white dress?
- Does your white dress look like something you would wear to your wedding shower?
- Is your dress made from lace, tulle, or any other fabric that resembles a wedding gown?
- Is your dress floor-length?
If you answer to questions 1, 3, 4, and 5 was “YES”, then think twice. If your answer to 2 was “YES”, then take a photo of your dress and share it with the bride.
Should you have decided to be wear white, the White Hollow Out Flounce Hem Midi Dress by Metisu is pure PERFECTION!! Why do I think so:
- The crew neckline keeps it classy as you are not showing any cleavage.
- The see-trough elements add just enough visual interest without being inappropriate at all.
- The midi length is stylish yet classy.
- The flounce hem is very feminine and romantic.
- The line of the dress is so elegant and sophisticated.
- This dress does not need jewelry – it speaks for itself. All you can add are some pearl earrings and a ring.
- The lace is not floral in pattern and hence does not resemble a bridal dress lace fabric.
- It pairs up perfectly with any bag – depending on the occasion! I chose this Sam Edelman navy and grey clutch with a silver chain as the rest of my jewels were silver.
- It is easy to put together with any heels! I chose a pair of BCBG peep toes in a navy, green, grey and white print, one I believe a bride would not wear with her wedding dress (in an effort not to look bridal.) This pair also matched up the clutch rounding off my accessories nicely.
Shoes: BCBG (another perfect pair here)
Clutch: Sam Edelman
Round Sunglasses: Polaroid
Watch: Raymond Weil
Earrings and Ring: Sundance
Have you even worn white to a wedding? What are you favorite wedding looks? What do you think of this dress? Drop me a line to let me know and have a wonderful week!