Happy mid-week! Doesn’t is feel joyous to know you are getting over the hump and half-way trough to the weekend?! On that note let me share a few fun facts about a fabric I love–SILK!
Did you know that silk is obtained from the cocoons of the larvae of the mulberry silkworm? It is a natural protein fiber that can be woven into fabric. Silk textile was first developed in ancient China and has been considered a luxurious material since 3630 BC, but is currently widely used in the medical field as well (magical properties, I tell ya!). It is very comfortable to wear in warm weather and while active, because it is very absorbent. It is also great for cold weather, as its low conductivity keeps warm air close to the skin. OK, so why am I going on and on about silk?!? Well, because I am in love with my new silk midi dress from METISU.
Why is this dress my new favorite?
- Silk is perfect for the summer heat and it does indeed give the dress a luxurious look, while my skin enjoys its softness;
- If you have read my prior article you know I love dresses that can go from a day in the office to a night out and this one fits the bill as it has midi length, half-sleeve, scoop neckline that all feels conservatively-elegant;
- The dress may look simple, but has so many details to enjoy: paneled design, tied waist, a split front and pockets! Yes, pockets – and I so LOVE having those!! Let’s be honest – I never use them as such, but just knowing they are there makes me feel cool!
- The color is not something you see every day and I know I will be wearing this dress well into Fall (when the weather permits that is) as it combined perfectly with earthy neutrals.
Have you checked out METISU’s dresses yet? They have trendy, new items (not just dresses, but I am just a sucker for those) every week! Let me know if you find anything you like on their website! There is an up to 70% mid-season sale right now! Would love to see it!
Heels: old Banana Republic, similar here
Clutch: old, similar here
Earrings and Necklace: Lucky Brand
Watch: Raymond Weil
Happy rest of the week, beauties!
Hope your week has been going great and that you have some exciting plans for the upcoming weekend.
Since we are in the heat of summer and florals are huge during this season I wanted to introduce you to a floral midi dress with a twist, by METISU. I find this abstract pattern to be very artistic and inspiring. The flowers have a beautifully undefined shape and colors that flow from one flower to the other. The pops of brighter red and green stand out from the more muted earthy, tobacco tones and black background. This unusual color story gives you countless possibilities when it comes to accessories. I chose a blue Chanel bag and gold heels, but black, green, red or any neutral toned bag and shoes would also compliment this pretty dress very well.
The crew neck, midi length, and half-sleeve make this dress perfect for work, whereas the slim-fitting, elegant silhouette and side slid perfect it for “play”! I wore it in the office, followed by a performance at the Disney Concert Hall–it suited both occasions to the t!
This dress is excellent for summer as it is from a very light material. It also comes with a waist belt should you decide you desire additional definition in that area. It is also currently on sale for just $60, so hurry in and grab yours or show me what you chose from the wonderful METISU sale going on right now!
Heels: Banana Republic (similar here)
Watch: Raymond Weil Tango
Earrings: Lucky Brand
Hello, lovely people!
Happy February! I recently went on vacation to the US Virgin Island of St. Croix, and boy, is it a beautiful piece of land surrounded by the most vibrant, countless-shades-of-blue water! Some of the architecture is stunning and where a building has turned into an abandoned ruin the flora has taken over and turned it into a charming, out-of-Tom-Sayer site! I could imagine countless photo-shoots there–a photographer’s Paradise!
As beautiful as St. Croix is, it is also not a very posh place. People are very welcoming, but unfortunately seem to live on a penny, the infrastructure is sort of maintained, and the island does not house many fancy restaurants or stores, BUT that is just part of its endless charm! It is a relaxing, let-your-hair-down, makeup-free, non-pretentious, casual kind of island.
So, what are some of the essentials you would need to have an enjoyable vacation:
- A few pairs of bikini (love the VS options here)–the island offers many wonderful beaches (my favorites are Sugar Cane Beach, Rainbow Beach and Sandy Point Beach) and you would love to be in or by the water as much as possible.
- A snorkel set (I have a Speedo set that worked very well)–don’t miss the beauty that lives in the water. It is such a calm and astonishing underwater world that you can enjoy by simply investing $35 in some fins, a mask and a snorkel. It takes “playing in the water” to a whole new level.
- Sunglasses (got my Kenneth Cole pair, similar here)–it is nice and sunny all the time, and if you are like me and have love for the sun, but can’t look it in the eye for too long, sunglasses would be much needed and appreciated.
- Flip-flops (wore this AEO pair everywhere) and flats (I wore my Lucky Brand Ellie pair)–I could have done this entire vacation in my flip-flops, but there was something nice about being able to slip into flats for dinner and the evening weather would allow it! Don’t bother with heels–you will look totally out of place, fell uncomfortable and perhaps a bit tired after a day in the water and under the sun.
- Your favorite casual dresses and cover-ups–I brought 5 or 6 dresses, a pair of shorts and a skirt, but the dresses worked so well I didn’t need anything else. You can throw those over your swimsuit with your flip-flops or pair them up with your flats for dinner, a visit to the botanical garden, a tour of the rum distilleries, and voila–you are island ready!
- A light jacket (love this Lucky Brand option) or cardi–I always feel cold and St. Croix gets a nice breeze that runs trough the island most of the time–day or night, so I appreciated having a thin denim blazer for a dinner or cocktails out in the evening.
What is nice to have, but not essential:
- If you are planning on some hiking adventures you may want to bring a pair of running shoes. I hiked in flip-flops, but wished for my sneakers would magically appear on my feet. 😉
- Board shorts would also be good for a hike, a paddle board afternoon, jet-skiing or a night out in a see-through kayak to check out the bio-luminescence at Salt River Bay.
- A small cross-body bag to house your credit card, some cash, and small essentials.
- A backpack for the beach or a hike.
- A hat–another way to protect yourself from the sun, however it is a bit windy, which means you may end up chasing your fedora or panama down the beach.
What to leave at home:
- Fancy jewels;
- Designer bags;
- Cocktail dresses;
- Full makeup set.
St. Croix is a low-key, casual-essentials kind of island, so leave your fancy fashion behind for this vacay, grab your sunscreen, bathing suit, snorkel, an adventure spirit and enjoy the raw fun this island has to offer!
Happy vacationing, ladies and gents!!
Please excuse my amateurish way as this is my first blog post EVER!!
I am so excited to embark on this fashion journey with you! Let’s do so on the right foot with a bite of caramel (that panama hat by Lucky Brand), a dash of cognac (saddle bag by Lucky Brand as well), some florals (off-the-shoulder H&M top), and of course a pair of skinny jeans (CK is my favorite denim designer) and Banana Republic dusty rose pumps. Fall is one of my favorite season as the weather lends itself to wearing hats without feeling like your head is on fire… Yet on some days off-the-shoulder blouses are still appropriate AND jeans are so in! This look is easy to wear as it is comfortable and stylish, a combo that would make any woman feel chic and confident. So let’s jump into this season of warm colors and cozy materials with our heads up and our smiles shining! 🙂